Need a little bit of inspiration? Here’s what the Bible says about being positive. Positive thinking is a prerequisite for success in every area of life. The Bible says “as a man thinks in his heart, so is he.” (Proverbs 23:7). If you desire greater success in life, then master your thoughts, which will help your faith work.
Would you agree that life is filled with ups and downs? However, the more positive your attitude, the easier it will be for you to identify the silver lining hidden within each challenging situation. Once you have identified the silver lining hidden within each challenge that you face, you will be able to focus on overcoming it.
Merriam-Webster defines the word, “positive” as “being fully assured; marked by or indicating acceptance, approval, or affirmation and confident.” When you operate with a positive attitude, you receive inspiration to boldly confront all opposition and win. A positive attitude is a prerequisite to taking positive action upon which all successful endeavors are built.
My working definition for the word, “positive” revolves around this question – do you see challenges as positive or negative? For example, do you see the glass of water as half-full or half-empty? If you see problems as opportunities for growth, you are more apt to embrace and endure them, increasing your trust, faith, and maturity in God
Though the word, “positive” is not found in the Bible, it works with your faith in God to profit. Another word for “faith” is being confident that God will provide the strength, wisdom, and strategies you need to overcome adversities.
When you approach a problem with a positive attitude, you will be inspired to do all you know to do, while trusting God to do the heavy lifting that you cannot. A positive attitude will help you stay on top of negative circumstances, instead of letting them crush you.
Here are five keys to exercising a POSITIVE ATTITUDE:
- Practice an attitude of gratitude. Count your blessings by daily writing them in your gratitude journal. Periodically re-read from this journal to recount your blessings. This practice will help you maintain a positive mindset. Remember there is always someone worse off than you.
- Pray and ask God for the strength, wisdom, and strategies to solve knotty problems. There is nothing too hard for God. Not only is He willing to help you if you ask, He is able.
- Quickly execute the wisdom and strategies that God reveals to you. Focus on doing your part and let God do the heavy lifting for you. He will always help you finish strong.
- Resist discouraging thoughts of doubt, unbelief, and hopelessness by meditating on the solution. You move in the direction of your most dominant thought. Also, speak the solution as an affirmation out of your mouth. You have what you say. So speak positively, not negatively.
- Thank and praise and worship God in advance for providing the answer you are seeking even before your answer fully manifests in the physical, natural realm.
In closing, “If you think you can, you can.” For the believer, cultivating a positive attitude is imperative for overcoming adversities and fulfilling your godly purpose. It motivates you from within to move in the right direction regardless of your feelings. If you think positively, you will speak positively and you will be positive, achieving your goals in life.
Karen L. Gardner
Pure Freedom Ministries Alaska